Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fishing for some lakers

Well, it has been a while since my last post and that is probably because it has been a while since I have had any luck catching fish. This past weekend, I went fishing Saturday and Sunday and didn't catch a single fish. We went to a lake where people were taking out 10-20lb Arctic Char out of nets but nothing was biting when we were jigging.

My luck changed today. We had the day off for Rememberance Day so Marty and I decided to go fishing out on the land. We had to cross the sea ice which finally froze a couple of weeks ago. The ride is about 50 kms away over the ice and then over land the land to a small lake. We were very lucky to find an Inuit family who showed us the way to the lake. Luckily, we had a GPS that tracked our journey because the weather got bad and we had some "interesting" turns on the way.

And remember, we only have about 5 hours of sunlight now so that is only a couple of hours of fishing after you finally get to the spot!


Here is Marty with a couple of Lake Trout. These pictures were taken moments after we got back. Does everybody notice the light? It was only 4:00pm and we had been driving in the dark for about an hour.


Here is the laker I was lucky enough to catch. It's the only fish I saw but it was big enough for me.


Here are the 3 fish that Marty and I caught The Inuit family we were with each caught a fish as well. The Inuit family also emptied their net from another lake today and had about 30 fish in their qomatiq. They had a lot of fish.


Marty and I cleaning the fish. It was nice to clean something that was bigger than 1lb.


Marty cooking up the fish. Marty, Ellen, Laura and I had a fish fry for dinner tonight. It was good!

No comments: